Monday, February 6, 2012

One Eagle Down


Last week I went up to Fort Bragg, North Carolina to attend the memorial service for an ole Sergeant Major I knew who passed away on Christmas day.  His name is Kenny McMullin, and he was one of the Son Tay Raiders...among other things.  For those of you who don’t know, the Son Tay Raid was performed by a specially selected group of Green Berets who went into North Vietnam in 1970 to rescue American Prisoners of War.  Here is a link for more information about the Son Tay Raid 

Kenny Mac lived an incredible life and all of us who served with him at one time or another during his career were very lucky to have crossed his path.  I was humbled by the entire event.  I was especially humbled by the celebration that took place after the memorial at a small pub just off post called “Charlie Mike’s”.  Most veterans will recognize that as the code word for “Continue the Mission,” and it was there that many of Kenny’s fellow soldiers gathered to celebrate him and the legacy he left behind.  God bless you Sergeant Major!

In other news, I have finished the first round of conceptual edits on my next book, Burnt Yellow and Red.  I will make prerelease copies available to the public later this spring. If you would like to order in advance, now is the time.  I have been taking orders for signed and numbered prerelease copies and we are up to number 068!  I will cut that offer off at 250 or on the official release date, which ever comes first.  This is one of my favorite passages from the book.

The men left behind what would appear to be trinkets to an outsider, but to these men, they were symbols of courage and faith, of honor. They left a few coins, a piece of shrapnel, a photograph of the team and on top of the headstone they left a Special Forces unit crest. Written upon it were these three words. “De Oppresso Liber.” It was their Razón de Ser, to “Free the Oppressed.”       

On the 11th of February I will be at the Barnes and Noble off of Rivers Avenue near the North Woods Mall in North Charleston South Carolina from 1 to 3 Pm.  During the event, I will be meeting with readers and signing copies of my book, “The Night Eagles Soared.”  I am really looking forward to it and I hope that you all will come out and enjoy the afternoon with me. 

On the 16th of February I will be speaking at the Summerville 9-12 Project, monthly meeting at the Holiday Inn Express, 120 Holiday Drive, Summerville, SC 29483.  There will be a meet and greet along with registration at 6:30 pm and the meeting will start at 7pm.  Come on out, and join me for an interesting evening.  Who knows if we’re lucky I will even sing one of my favorite songs.
Thank you for your time, and God bless you all. 

S. B. Newman, Author “The Night Eagles Soared

Please feel free to join me on facebook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment